RANCHO MIRAGE, CA (May 1, 2020) – In honor of U.S. Travel Association’s National Travel & Tourism Week (NTTW), kicking off on May 4, 2020, Greater Palm Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) will host a series of events and launch the custom-written and produced music video “Find Your Oasis” featuring local artists on Friday, May 8.
Celebrated annually the first full week in May, NTTW will spotlight resilience and hope of the tourism industry in the face of the coronavirus pandemic with this year’s theme: The Spirit of Travel. The 37th NTTW arrives at an opportune moment to unite the industry, celebrate its indomitable spirit, and elevate the role it will play in America’s economic recovery.
Tourism is the Coachella Valley’s #1 economic driver with more than 53,000 jobs supported by tourism. In 2019, the destination welcomed 14.1 million visitors. Greater Palm Springs has announced a series of exciting virtual events, for both consumers and those in the travel industry, to celebrate #NTTW20. Highlights of the week include:
● Live Webinar with Cindy Novotny - May 4th, 9:45-10:45 a.m. PDT - A live webinar with well-known local motivational speaker Cindy Novotny. Known around the world as “The Radical Mentor,” Novotny will speak on how pivoting today will give you the best results tomorrow. She has been recognized as one of the Top 25 Most Extraordinary Minds in Sales & Marketing.
● Takeout Tuesday - May 5th, 4-4:30 p.m. PDT - A virtual happy hour with a live cocktail demonstration to support local restaurants and California’s Takeout Tuesday initiative. The happy hour will celebrate Cinco de Mayo with themed “Margarita” recipes by Fresh Agave. Those interested in attending can tune in via Facebook Live at www.facebook.com/visitgreaterps.
● Response and Recovery Virtual Town Hall - May 6th, 10-11 a.m. PDT - The virtual event will discuss the CVB will discuss the local COVID-19 response and recovery efforts for our tourism community and feature special guest Carolyn Beteta, President & CEO of Visit California.
● Tourism Gives Back - May 7th, 2-3 p.m. PDT - Viewers can listen to uplifting stories exploring how the tourism industry is giving back. Speakers include Katie Stice, president and CEO of Rancho Mirage Chamber of Commerce who will be sharing details on the “Feed the Front Lines Project”; and Debbie Espinosa, president and CEO of FIND Food Bank, Heather Vaikona , president and CEO of Lift to Rise and Dan Ballister, Director of Community Development, LifeStream Blood Bank, who will share volunteer opportunities.
● Celebrating the Spirit of Travel with Salutation and Affirmation - May 8th, 9-9:30 a.m. PDT - To close out the week, participants will gather in a virtual salutation and affirmation, led by local yoga instructor Shay Moraga, to be healthy, take care, and participate in Greater Together wellness initiatives. Guests may join the conversation at www.facebook.com/visitgreaterps.
The program with end with the broadcast of the “Find Your Oasis” music video. Drawing upon the inspiration of the region’s natural allure, the music video for “Find Your Oasis” was designed to create an experience for listeners to feel as if they are in the desert, famed for its beauty, spirit and abundance of outdoor activities. The project brought together a stellar roster of local artists — including vocalists, bands, pop artists, visual artists, muralists, a cellist, a tap dancer and a poet — who can be seen experiencing some of the destination’s most iconic sites. Viewers will recognize locations such as the Empire Polo Club, Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, Joshua Tree National Park and a variety of local hotels, resorts and public art pieces.
For more information on Greater Palm Spring’s recognition of National Travel & Tourism Week or to register for events, please visit www.visitgreaterpalmsprings.com/national-travel-and-tourism-week.