As of January 1, 2018, it is legal for adults to purchase cannabis for recreational personal use from retailers that are licensed by both the state of California and the city where the retailer is located. Although cannabis use and possession are legal in California with certain restrictions, the growth, sales, possession, and consumption of cannabis remain federal offenses.
For the most up-to-date information on recreational cannabis laws in the state of California, please consult the State of California Cannabis Portal.
Click below to learn more about do's and don'ts around Greater Palm Springs plus scroll down to find where to shop, stay or just chill.
Information for Visitors
- You CAN purchase and/or possess cannabis for personal use if you are at least 21 years old.
- You CAN purchase cannabis for personal use at state-licensed recreational cannabis retailers.
- You CAN possess up to one ounce of cannabis (or 8 grams of concentrates).
- You CANNOT use cannabis in a public place.
- You CANNOT drive under the influence of cannabis, use cannabis in a moving vehicle or have an open container of cannabis in a vehicle.
- You CANNOT possess cannabis on school grounds.
- You CANNOT possess cannabis on federal property (e.g. national parks).
It is important to note that rules at hotels and other establishments around smoking apply to cannabis as well as tobacco and that violations can lead to fines and other penalties.
Please visit each city’s website for specific laws on cannabis sales, cultivation, delivery and consumption. The links below are to each city's main website, where you can search for additional information.