Communications & Film
PR & Media Support
During the reporting period of November and December, the Communications team attained noteworthy media coverage, creating 78 media touchpoints, initiating 29 targeted pitches, and providing support to 22 media outlets in the market. Notably, story support was extended to key publications such as Hollywood Reporter, Variety, Los Angeles Magazine, Thrillist, USA Today, National Geographic, and Metro.
With the support of our agencies, the team saw 146 articles published. Highlights included:
- InStyle Visit Palm Springs Like An A-Lister
- USAToday Special Evolving Oasis
- TripAdvisor Head to Palm Springs this winter for holly-jolly holiday spirit
- The Hollywood Reporter Celebrity-Loved Rancho Mirage Celebrates 50 Years
- Good Housekeeping Meet the Winners of Good Housekeeping's 2024 Family Travel Awards
- dpa German Press Agency (syndicated) Palm Springs: Hollywood in the desert
- KTLA Holiday Gateways in So Cal
- TTG Media Easy ways to sell the oasis of entertainment in Greater Palm Springs
Above: A selection of published articles from this reporting period.
As we ended the year, the Communications team proactively pursued media opportunities to ensure that Greater Palm Springs stays prominently in the minds of potential visitors. Collaborating closely with our agencies, the team crafted pitches that highlight the destination's allure with a focus on new offerings coming in 2024.
The team recently visited New York City to participate in several media events, including the TravMedia Summit, International Media Marketplace (IMM), and Visit California Media Day. These events featured networking opportunities and one-on-one media appointments with 24 travel-focused media professionals. Additionally, we co-sponsored the Greater Palm Springs James Beard Dinner in collaboration with Palm Springs Life, Agua Caliente Casinos, California Date Commission, and Palm Desert Food + Wine.
The James Beard Dinner boasted a lineup of renowned chefs, including:
- Chef Angelo Sosa, Tia Carmen + Carmocha, Hyatt Regency Indian Wells
- Executive Chef Michael Hung, Colony Palms Hotel & Bungalows and L’Horizon Resort & Spa
- Executive Chef Juan Morales, Aqua Caliente Hotel and Spa
- Executive Chef Chantel Thornton, The Parker Palm Springs
- Executive Chef Jeremy Loomis, Trio Restaurant
VGPS Director of Communications Joyce Kiehl and Director of Palm Springs Tourism Kimber Foster pose for a photo with Coachella Valley chefs at the James Beard dinner in New York City.
Significant events shaped our outcomes in 2023:
- Todd Burke assumed the role of Vice President of Communications, bringing valuable expertise to the team.
- We established a partnership with Finn Partners, a new agency for the UK and Irish market.
- The collaboration with UK luxury luggage company Globe-Trotter resulted in remarkable international visibility for Visit Greater Palm Springs, showcasing Globe-Trotter’s first-ever destination line.
- The two-week Greater Palm Springs Road Trip across Ireland, Scotland, and England opened doors for media engagement across multiple channels.
- The inaugural Meet the Mentors programming was successfully hosted.
- In Film Oasis, the team re-engaged with location scouts and Riverside County to execute a location scouts tour. The team provided assistance with photos shoots from US, France, UK, Italy and Australia.
- With a continued focus on sustainability, diversity, and accessibility in Greater Palm Springs, the team garnered considerable media attention. There were 145 media visits hosted, reflecting the high interest by media in experiences in Greater Palm Springs.
- The Communications team exceeded its media goals for the year, achieving a PR Quality Score of 6,916 and securing 1,331 pieces of earned media content.
In recent weeks, our team played host to four media guests during the Palm Springs International Film Festival gala. These guests hailed from various outlets, including Los Angeles Magazine, Saturday Evening Post, HOLR magazine (Canada), and Andrew Freund, a frequent contributor to Today Show, NBC New, BeyondTV, and Dish Nation.
The VGPS team and Palm Springs International Film Festival FAM guests gather pre-event.
The multi-award-winning podcast Armchair Explorer podcast also delved into the destination during their one-week stint, capturing 150 hours of audio for a compelling three-part series on Greater Palm Springs. Their experiences encompassed a diverse range of activities, including touring with local artists, horseback riding in Indian Canyons, rock climbing in Joshua Tree, a jeep tour to the San Andreas Fault, a midcentury home tour with Josh Agle, "The artist Shag," cocktail making, and much more.
The Armchair Explorer podcast team takes a dinner break in market.
The team has begun to more fully integrate Sustainability, DEI, and Accessibility with the agencies supporting our PR efforts by hosting regular sessions with VGPS's Director of Sustainability and Community Engagement.
In February, the Communications team will attend the Visit California Dallas Media Dinner and Destinations International Marketing & Communications Summit.
In March, the team will attend Visit California Outlook Forum, which is being held in our destination.
Looking ahead to IPW in Los Angeles, the team will be leveraging this event to key media for in-person visits. This currently includes a group press trip from Japan as well as individual visits from UK, Germany, and Australia.
Below are dashboards showing our year-to-date total PR Quality Score and article stats. The PR Quality Score measures content coverage on a point system based on story type, media tier, visuals, and coverage placement. Scores for earned media range from a low of 2 points to a high of 10 points.
An arrow in the upper right-hand corner of a box indicates additional information is available. Click to open.
- 2-Year Board Priorities
- Current Agenda & Packet
- President's Summary
- Air Service Updates
- Marketing Updates
- Communications & Film Updates
- Digital Updates
- Social Updates
- Convention Sales
- Pace Report
- Partnership Updates
- Tourism Development
- Research Updates
- Smith Travel Research
- Vacation Rental Data
- Past Board Meetings Archive